Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Doujinshi talk!

Post CF, I feel obliged to talk a bit about my El Shaddai book. When I got the books from the printer, the first thing I noticed was the colours on the cover looked washed-out. I liked the stark black of the printing which goes well with my high-contrast linework, but... I don't think I'll be using that printer again. That was a big disappointment for me as the cover was what I liked most about the book.

About the conception of this book... it was originally intended to be a phrasebook of sorts, explaining the terms and in-jokes born of the MADs on NicoVideo. In the end, only a few pages were created from that initial idea. The main reason being: I'm not good with words, I couldn't come up explanations that were interesting enough. The idea was scrapped and the rest of the book was born at the last minute.

I was pleasantly surprised at the response, though. It's always nice meeting other fans of what you could call a niche fandom. There were people pointing and laughing at the drawing I made advertising the price, and some guy was explaining to his friend what the game was about in front of the booth. There was even a group of siblings(? I assume) who were just so excited/tickled to see a ES book. Amongst them was a little kid of about 10? And he was just as excited to see the book. At that point, I was thinking, 'Is it really OK to let this little kid read this', but in the end they bought a copy and even asked me to draw something in it, so...

... no problem, everything's fine?

If you bought a copy, thank you very much. Please feel free to let me know what you liked/disliked about the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment